Job Ref. No.: JLIL146
Position: Data Engineer
Jubilee Insurance was established in August 1937, as the first locally incorporated Insurance Company based in Mombasa.
Jubilee Insurance has spread its sphere of influence throughout the region to become the largest Composite insurer in
East Africa, handling Life, Pensions, General and Medical Insurance. Today, Jubilee is the number one insurer in East
Africa with over 450,000 clients. Jubilee Insurance has a network of offices in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, and
Mauritius. It is the only ISO certified insurance group listed on the three East Africa stock exchanges – The Nairobi
Securities Exchange (NSE), Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange and Uganda Securities Exchange. Its regional offices are
highly rated on leadership, quality and risk management and have been awarded an AA- in Kenya and Uganda, and an
A+ in Tanzania. For more information, visit www.JubileeInsurance.com.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity for Data Engineer within Jubilee Life Insurance Limited. The position
holder will report to the Head of Data Engineering.
The data engineer will oversee expanding and optimizing of our data architecture and data pipeline with the purpose of
improving data analysis and ML workflows. The data engineer will be handling the design and construction of scalable data
systems and research new use cases for data acquisition.
1. Design and develop a data estate that is performant, accessible, secure, scalable, maintainable, and extensible. This
includes AWS/Azure Data Lake and all other integrating functionalities and layers like ML, Analytics and data science.
2. Design and develop and maintain data pipelines including ML pipelines.
3. Model EDW entities and ensure all data is complete, accurate, timely, and well documented.
4. Work towards the implementation of a true Self-Service analytics platform.
5. Implementation of CI/CD practices within the data platform
1. Follow existing processes and work to improve/identify gaps in these processes.
2. Ensure the correct SDLC promotion processes are followed.
3. Follow the correct sign-off processes to ensure that only approved releases are deployed into Production.
4. Ensure that all AWS/Azure development follows CI/CD processes and is repeatable.
Corporate Governance (Regulatory and Compliance):
1. Ensure compliance with regulatory and industry standards, data privacy, security, and governance requirements.
2. Ensure that all work follows the best security practices and fully adheres to DPA and other data regulations.
3. Ensure that all work follows the correct approval and sign-off process before it is pushed into Production.
4. Ensure that all work is documented and if needed, has a runbook in order to guarantee business continuity and
5. Work with others in the team to keep the Data Dictionary and Ubiquitous Language complete and up to date.
Leadership and Culture:
1. Build relationships with members of the data team and the wider business team.
2. Work closely and collaboratively with all members of the data team.
3. Work closely with and learn from tech and team leads and challenge proposed solutions with your own ideas.
Key Competencies and Skills
1. Experience and knowledge of the SQL query language.
2. Understanding of data architecture and data modelling techniques
3. Experience with cloud technologies in building and maintaining platforms.
4. ETL and ELT experience - both batch and microservices-led.
5. Proven experience working with data.
1. Bachelors’ degree in IT or related fields
1. Certification in Azure/GCP/AWS preferred.
1. Minimum three years’ experience in a data engineer role or similar.
2. Experience and knowledge of a coding language such as Python specifically data manipulation