JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR PHYSICAL PLANNING AND LAND USE - JG ‘R’ (CPSB 03) 1 POST
Terms of Service: Permanent and Pensionable
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coordinating the Physical Planning Function at the County
2. Advising the county government on physical and land use planning matters that impact the
3. Formulating county physical and land use planning policies, guidelines and standards;
4. Preparation of county and local physical and land use development plans for metropolitan,
city, municipal, urban and rural areas;
5. Maintaining a land information system to guide physical and land use planning;
6. Communicating decisions of the county government development applications; and
7. Issuance of development permission and other development control instruments
8. Participating in the preparation of inter-county physical and land use development plans;
9. Undertaking research on matters relating to physical and land use development planning at
the county level;
10. Formulating strategies for public education, participation and engagement;
11. Overseeing the preparation of annual county physical planning reports;
12. Monitoring and evaluation of physical planning projects/programmes at the county;
13. Preparing and implementing strategic plans and annual work plans;
14. Facilitating the continuous professional development of staff;
15. Any other duties assigned from time to time by the Chief Officer.
Qualifications for Appointment
a) Have a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Urban and Regional Planning,
Urban Planning or Town Planning from a recognized institution;
b) Master’s degree from a university recognized in Kenya in any of the following disciplines:
Environmental Science and Management, Rangeland Management, Ecology, Geography,
Geomatics, Aquatic science, Natural Resources Management, Forestry and Agro forestry is
an added advantage
c) Be a corporate member of the Kenya Institute of Planners or Architectural Association of
Kenya (Town Planning Chapter) or Town and County Planners Association of Kenya
d) Be registered by the Physical Planners Registration Board;
e) Have served in the grade of Senior Deputy Director of Physical Planning for a minimum
period of three (3) years.
f) Or served as a physical planner in a reputable organization for a period not less than 7 years
– preferably in a public institution.
g) Certificate in computer applications from a recognized institution;
h) Have proven administrative ability and professional competence necessary for the effective
performance of work at this level;
i) Certificate in Senior Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a
j) Demonstrated professional and administrative competence in work performance and results
k) Be a member of good standing with a relevant professional body;
l) Have knowledge and experience in Programme Based Budgeting, Planning, Financial
analysis and policy formulation.
m) Demonstrated managerial and professional competence in work performance and exhibited a
thorough understanding of national policies, goals, objectives, and ability to relate them to
the Physical Planning function at the County level.
n) Certificate in computer applications from a recognized institution;
o) Have knowledge and experience in Programme Based Budgeting, Planning, Financial
analysis and policy formulation.