Royal Media Services Limited wishes to recruit a suitably qualified individual to the position of a Sign Language Interpreter. He/she will be required to report to the Assistant Production Manager.
Key roles & responsibilities
1. Interpretation: Provide live sign language interpretation of television programs, news broadcasts, interviews, and other content to make it accessible for Deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers.
2. Language Adaptation: Adapt the interpretation to suit different genres, including entertainment, news, sports, and educational programs, while maintaining clarity and accuracy.
3. Communication Liaison: Act as a communication bridge between hearing and Deaf communities by ensuring effective transmission of information and maintaining cultural sensitivity.
4. Research and Preparation: Conduct thorough research and preparation prior to broadcasts to familiarize oneself with the subject matter, terminology, and specific jargon related to the content.
5. Technical Assistance: Collaborate with television production staff to ensure proper placement of cameras, lighting, and other technical aspects that facilitate clear visibility of the interpreter on-screen.
6. Collaboration: Work closely with producers, directors, presenters, and other television personnel to coordinate interpretation schedules and ensure smooth integration of sign language services into the broadcast.
7. Continual Learning: Stay up to date with sign language, Deaf culture, and current events to maintain and improve interpreting skills.
8. Accessibility Advocacy: Promote accessibility initiatives and contribute to the development of strategies to enhance the inclusivity of television programming for the Deaf and hard-of-hearing community.
Academic and professional/work Experience
• At least a Diploma in Sign Language Interpretation from a recognized institution
• At least two-years relevant experience in a professional set up.
• Member of a recognized professional body
1. Fluency in Sign Language: Demonstrated fluency in sign language, with the ability to interpret rapidly and accurately between spoken language and sign language.
2. Ability to interpret in at least a combination of either English, Kiswahili and Luo or English, Kiswahili and Kikuyu.
3. Interpreting Certification: Possession of a recognized interpreting certification, such as the National Interpreter Certification (NIC) or equivalent, is highly desirable.
4. Experience: Previous experience as a sign language interpreter in a professional setting, such as television broadcasting or live events, is preferred.
5. Knowledge of Deaf Culture: Strong understanding of Deaf culture, norms, and sensitivities, and ability to navigate diverse communication preferences within the Deaf and hard-of-hearing community.
6. Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal, with the ability to convey spoken language into sign language effectively and maintain clear and concise interpretations. Should possess admirable voicing skills from Sign Language to spoken language
7. Adaptability: Ability to adapt quickly to various subject matters, genres, and broadcasting environments while ensuring accurate interpretation.
8. Collaboration: Strong collaborative skills and the ability to work effectively with television production teams, presenters, and other stakeholders.